Financial Mechanism(FMΟ) of the European Economic Area (EEA)
Welcome to the website of the Financial Mechanism(FMΟ) of the European Economic Area (EEA).The Financial Mechanismof the EEA was established in the framework of the EEA and constitutes its institutional part since 1994. Themembersstates of the EEA are the Kingdom of Norway, the principality of Lichtenstein, the Republic of Iceland and the 28 member states of the European Union.The EEA was established on 1 January 1994 following an agreement between the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and the EU’s predecessor, the European Economic Community (EEC).
The overall objectives of the EEA Financial Mechanism 2009-2014 are to contribute to the reduction of economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area and to the strengthening of bilateral relations between the Donor States (Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein) and the16 Beneficiary States through financial contribution in priority sectors as:
- Environmental protection and management
- Climate change an renewable energy
- Civil society
- Human and social Development and
- Protecting cultural heritage
ASYLUM AND MIGRATION SECTOR
Concerning the current Programming Period 2009-2014 Greece as Beneficiary State through the program GR-06 with title “Capacity building of National Asylum and Migration Management Systems” targets on the upgrade of the hospitality infrastructures and the efficient management of the rising migratory flows. According to the EEA Grants Regulation the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) has been defined as Donor Programme partner in order to offer knowledge for the preparation and the implementation of theprogramme.
For the implementation of the programme funded by the Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) of theEuropean Economic Area (EEA) for the period 2009-2014 are ruled by the following framework:
a) The Regulation on the implementation of the European Economic Area (EEA) Financial Mechanism 2009-2014 from 18.01.2011 as adopted by the Financial Mechanism Committee under article 8.8 of the EEA Agreement Protocol 38b , as amended and currently in force.
b) The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) from 07.11.2011 for the implementation of the European Economic Area (EEA) Financial Mechanism period 2009-2014 between the Kingdom of Norway, principality of Lichtenstein, the Republic of Iceland and the Greek Republic, as amended and currently in force.
c) The Common Ministerial Decision(781/2014 from 28/3/2014) which determines the European and Development Programs Division (E.D.P.D) of the Ministry of Interior and Administrative Reconstruction as the programme operator (PO) for GR 06.
For the current Programming Period 2009-2014 the programmeGR-06 has six predefined projects:
- Covering the operational costs at the Reception and Identification Centre, Fylakio, Evros,
- Assistance to Asylum Service.
- Covering the operational costs at the Reception and Identification Centre, Lesvos
- Covering the operational costs for two Reception and Identification Mobile Units
- Covering the costs for staff recruitment for the Reception and Identification Service.
In May 2015 the Donors determined that the Programming Period was to be extended until 30/04/2017.
- Project 1 – Covering the operational costs at the Reception and Identification Centre, Fylakio/Evros
- Project 2 – Assistance to the Asylum Service
- Project 4 – Covering the operational costs of the Reception and Identification Centre, Lesvos
- Project 5 – Covering the operational costs for two First Reception Mobile Units
- Bilateral and Complimentary Actions
- Complaint mechanism
- Legal and Regulatory Framework