MINISTRY OF PUBLIC ORDER
Athens, June 1, 2004
A meeting focusing on law enforcement cooperation between Greece and Albania took place on Friday (May 28, 2004) in Ioannina, NW Greece, within the framework of bilateral cooperation between the two countries.
Participants at the meeting included the General Secretary of the Ministry of Public Order, Leonidas Evangelidis, Albania`s Deputy Minister of Public Order, Thoma Jano, Greece`s ambassador to Tirana, Pantelis Karkabasis, as well as departmental officials from the Ministries of Public Order of Greece and Albania.
During the sessions:
- issues related to the security of the Olympic Games were discussed,
- the positive climate in law enforcement cooperation to jointly combat organized crime,
- the illegal trafficking of weapons and explosives as well as the drug trade and people-smuggling was confirmed, the issue of safely guarding, transporting and storing weaponry and explosive materials was discussed,
- the need for continuous meetings of border areas` police directors was stressed, and,
- bilateral cooperation in the sector of combating wildfires was examined.
Finally, the General Secretary proposed that, within the framework of Greek-Albanian cooperation, Albanian police officers be hosted in Greece in order to be briefed on Hellenic Police`s crime-fighting efforts.
For more information, call: 210 6977505
Fax: 210 6929764